21 September 2006

The Non-Edible Vegan Lottery. Have I Won?!

Check out all this wonderful vegan stuff (click all photos to enlarge)! I cannot express in words how happy I am today because my special friend Kris sent me a care pacakge that certainly made my day... a few days combined, really! First I thought it wasn't even a package for me. Then I saw it was for me and from Portland so I assumed it was my regular subscription order to Herbivore Mag that was oh-so-kindly tossed over our fence onto the patio. I knew I was getting a "special something" along with my subscription, but this felt like fabric (a shirt?). I really wasn't ready for what was about to come...

I sat outside under our umbrella, still-somewhat-cool-morning and not a cloud in the sky and opened the package. My eyeballs seriously popped out of my head and I did a little mini-jump out of my chair. There was so much goodness inside I didn't know where to start. Well, I did...
-It was indeed a shirt, and since Kris knows that brown's my favorite color, she chose very well. The shirt says "please don't eat birds". I love it! It is of course American Apparel made in Downtown LA (not by children and or underpaid workers and it actually fits like a shirt is supposed to not for beer bellies) and she knows I'm a size small (although I still have to shrink it up not in).
-Next up we have a special back issue of Herbivore Magazine, issue 10 from winter 05/06. I love that she knew I'd enjoy this issue, it has a lot of cookbook authors' insight, vegan people I am familiar with and their ramblings and other fun stuff that you will just have to read to find out about. It certainly is a great issue. For those of you who enjoy reading about vegan "culture" with a fun and sarcastic edge, subscribe now. And if you didn't know already, there's Herbivore Clothing and a new store (that I can't wait to go to) in Portland Oregon.
-Then I didn't know what I was pulling out. I unfolded it and it is a tote bag that also has the same phrase as the t-shirt. It's nice because Ray and I always just use one bag to bring to the store (why?) but end up filling 2 bags so that means I have to use one from the store which I reuse again and again, But now this going to be my special "produce" bag. I'm picky with everything, even where my groceries go in the bag/basket. Once again, great!
-On top of the bag on the left side is a cute little Herbivore button. To add to my wanna-be-but-not-collection.
-And perfect for this dry desert air (where Kris also used to live by the way), she kindly sent me organic lip balm and organic shea butter creme by Perfect Organics. Wonderful stuff they have at the Herbivore store.
-Then there's an assortment of stickers. One says "veganism is for lovers" and I was impressed that Ray randomly commented on it and liked it and I didn't have to say "what do you think?". It reminded me of a recent incident that Crystal had when she received stickers in the mail. She was surprised her husband wanted it up in the front of the house, so was I (but boyfriend). That's my deal with Ray and our car... he one day made me mad and said he didn't want to "veganize the car" (whatever the %$#& that means!) so we compromise on stickers, although I had many up in the first place... Just another one to add that we both like, thanks! The other stickers are nice (but not car stickers per se), one says "cow hugger" and it's light blue with grazing cows and children hugging them, and the other says "factory farms are mean and nasty". Ha.
-I'm not done yet. Next we have some little bar soaps made by Estrella Soap and they smell vibrantly but naturally. One is peppermint oatmeal and the other is Lemon Poppy Seed Scrub. There are ingredients but not on the package. I have no worries about it's veganness because I know where this came from.
-Finally (whew!) my dear friend Kris sent along a postcard with a note. The postcard has Herbivore's what-do-you-call-it slogan (?) that says "Putting the 'FU' in Tofu Since 2003". I always got a kick out of that.

Kris, I can't say thank you enough... or did you think I did in the email? I am super-grateful for this wonderful surprise filled with vegan goodness (can any of you believe I'm saying that about non-edible stuff?!). I hope one day soon I can go visit Kris and the Herbivore store (and Food Fight and tons of other incredible places, people, events, nature, etc that Portland has to offer). For now, I am enjoying my treats here in AZ. I have the shirt lined up in the laundry pile ready to get shrunk, I have practically read the entire issue of the magazine today, my button is pinned on my bag next to some others, lip balm and shea butter was applied upon opening of the package, and Ray is going to be the first sampler of the soap tomorrow morning. As soon as I wash the car I'll put the sticker on (that may be a while, he he).

What a gift! I am happy.

26 comments:

Julie said...

WOW! You did hit the lottery! How sweet of Kris to send you those goodies! I like the "Don't Eat Birds" slogan, but my fav is the one with the chicken on the front that says "I'm Not A Nugget" hehe

Hope you are well, Les.

P.S.~Is it almost the winter solstice?? hehe

Eat Peace Please said...

Julie, tomorrow is the autumnal equinox. I thought we were going to meet by then, and that seemed far away. New goal is winter. Let's never bet on rain or snow, since we both know it'll never happen, hee hee.

Michelle said...

wow! that is so awesome! i need me a care package ;)

Harmonia said...

WOW! It's like your birthday! CONGRATS! I want this care package! ;)

What a way to start off your weekend, eh!?

Oh! I was trying to comment on your blog yesterday but something strange happened...I wanted to say that I love Mexican Night/Taco Night! Your pictures are FABULOUS and I love the color in them! Looks like a FUN and TASTEE meal!

Anonymous said...

Hot D*mn Leslie! You are one lucky girl to have such great friends! I love the saying on the shirt! Awesome!!

theONLYtania said...

Hey, that's really awesome. It's not even your birthday or anything is it? You are one lucky vegan. Hehe.

Mary said...

You are so lucky! I'd love to live in Portland just because it's so veg-friendly, but I like Tucson alot. :) Lucky girl!

Anonymous said...

You certainly did win the lottery! Wow. What a jackpot and what a nice friend. I love the shirt and bag. I was actually eyeing them online earlier. My favorite sticker is the cow hugger. I wish that was a shirt!

Oh, about Noble, for some reason, unless he's walking, he usually has his tail between his legs. I've been told it's a common greyhound thing. You can even see in the picture where he's sleeping his tail is between his legs.

Kris said...

Aw, Leslie, I had to laugh to see that you posted this stuff! I hope you got my email back... I'm SO glad that you like the stuff! I really had fun being able to put together a vegan care package for someone, too. I haven't ever been able to do that before! Now it looks like this giant advertisement for Herbivore, which it's not, I swear!

I hope that you and Ray can come out to visit someday, that would awesome. And I can assure you that by the end of the trip you'll be sorry that you'll be sorry you shrunk up that shirt, lol.

As a side note, I thought you'd be interested to know we're researching this new way of printing our shirts that way more environmentally friendly than screen printing and the company uses all organic cotton shirts, so they'll be uber earth-friendly! We're still working out some stuff with the company, so it won't be right away, but I'm excited that we found this place and this new process.

Unknown said...

wow-packages like that are simply the best.

Kris said...

oh, and crystal, the cowhugger design is on a shirt, blue short sleeved and green long sleeved. I'm such a dork. this is supposed to be my day off! no more herbivore!

Anonymous said...

what a great box of goodies.
I love the bag !

Teresa said...

You are one lucky vegan girl! That was so nice of Kris to send you that thoughtful care package. I love how Ray commented on the sticker instead of groaning or worriedly asking you if it was going to go on the car. It seems to me like Ray is more and more interested in veganism these days. Its great that he is so supportive and open to new things!

-Teresa

Candi said...

Lucky you!! That lookslike a great package!! You two must be really good friends! Thanks for sharing your goodies with us!!!

laura k said...

Aww, that great... what an awesome friend! I want the "Veganism is for lovers" sticker. Well, really I just want it all! :) Anyway, congratulations and I know you'll enjoy all your new goodies.

Anonymous said...

wow that is awesome! i know Kris is a cool girl becouse one time she sned me a pin that i win in her blog and she also send me some goodies : 2 vegan cookies and some jerky! yum yum!
i still have the cookie wrapper dreaming that someday i will have them here in my town!

Carrie™ said...

Holy crap Leslie! That is just amazingly awesome! Enjoy it all. I'm pretty sure that you will.

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

whata thoughtful gift! i'd love to receive that package -- they have a cool website & congrats on the new store...

madeinalaska said...

great stuff.. your a very lucky girl!

urban vegan said...

that's the gift to end all gifts.

funwithyourfood said...

wow that is so nice. I think that kind of thought would make anyone's day!

your favorite color is brown? So is Richards. I know if I get him anything brown he'll be happy. Which is good b/c i get nervous about present shopping

Teddy

Anonymous said...

That is one of the best care packages I have ever seen :)

bazu said...

Leslie,
Anytime you need cool weather, apples, and pumpkins, you are more than welcome to come up to NY!

KleoPatra said...

FRIENDS RULE!

Wow, that is a great post and you have a wonderful friend in Kris, Leslie.

ENJOY!!!

Jody from VegChic said...

Wow, another package in the mail with all that cool stuff. That is awesome.

BTW - Those tacos look great. Hope you are doing well!

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

awwww!

I have that bag too : )